Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Psalm 23

Psalms 23
By Estelle Nazary

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and loving-kindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

This Psalm is a message of great beauty, describing the peace and calm delight which dwell with one whose trust is wholly in God. David's thoughts are happy thoughts. He lacks nothing, has no fear. God's mercy and goodness are with him and he feels assured that they will continue to be with him all his life. He has but one desire for the future and that is to dwell in the presence of God forever.

This is a Psalm of great beauty, sweetness of purpose and happy thoughts.

The Provision is "The Lord is my Shepard”.  This is the key note of the whole Psalm. This is the voice of personal experience. Christ is the shepherd. He seeks and saves the lost, ruling and feeding each one who follows him laying down his life for the flock. Can you say, "The Lord is My Shepherd"?  ‘I shall not want that is therefore can I lack nothing.’ He gives everything one needs.

Plenty – The Lord gives food and rest. He provides spiritual food and rest. Waters of refreshment for us
spiritually. He revives the soul and reinvigorates it when it is exhausted and weary.

Paths – He leadeth me in paths of pleasantness and peace to magnify his name as a gracious and merciful God. 
“To everyone there openeth a way, and ways, a way – The high soul climbs the highway and the low soul 
gropes the low.  And in between in the misty flats, the rest drift to and fro.  But to everyone he decideth 
the way that his soul shall go” – John Oxenham
Choose the path where Jesus leads!

Protector – Gives assurance of God's presence with us when we need help and strength. He will not fear because the same gracious God will be with him, leading him, guiding his steps, keeping him from evil. The rod and staff comfort me. However, long and dreary the way through the dark valley, I shall still have guidance and protection.

Power – God prepares his table laid before his enemies. His whole life full to overflowing with blessedness. His cup is not only full to the brim, but runs over with happiness.

Peace – David has no doubt that God's goodness and mercy shall continue to cling to him all his life. Perfect peace and blessedness is his to enjoy.

Praise – To live with God forever, to behold His beauty. This expresses the longing of the soul for the continual presence of God and communion with him forever. Lifelong and everlasting companionship is his blessing.

Are you experiencing the blessings of this Psalm?  Can you truly say the Lord is MY shepherd?

If you cannot, you may do so by simply trusting Jesus as your Savior and Lord.


                A young man tells the story of how he was led to Christ by a consecrated and understanding mother, very early in life.  He was out at play when a bee came buzzing about his head.  Quickly he ran to his mother and took refuge behind her.  The bee stung her on the arm.  When this boy saw that the bee had stung his mother, he began to cry.  She misunderstood his tears and said, “You need not be afraid now.  The bee cannot sting you.  He has left his sting in my arm.”  When she understood the boy’s tears, she saw an opportunity to teach him the salvation of Christ.  “Sin is like that,” she said.  “It has an awful sting that results in death.  Christ has taken away this awful sting.  He became sin for us and died in our place.  Because you got behind me, I saved you from the bee’s sting.  It is this way in the salvation of your soul.  You must get behind Jesus and he saves you from the sting of sin.”  The boy testified that he was saved that day.  You can be too.  Will you trust Him, give Him your life, accept the price Jesus paid that you might have salvation?  Is the Lord your Shepard?

No comments:

Post a Comment